Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hello from the US

No matter how interesting politics is in my opinion, some of my few readers at this blog may wonder what I have been up to during my first week in the Unites States of America.

I arrived in Boston August 15. The 9 hour flight felt like only a few minutes; I was traveling with the other 8 scholars from Sweden and we had plenty to talk about. I am amazed how ASSIST really is able to gather so many great individuals from around the globe. I have so much in common with all the scholars, not only the Swedish ones. We have been talking about life, politics, family, society and the future. We have been exchanging thoughts and ideas. I can't believe how many ambitious and talented people there are!

I am especially proud of how comfortable I was in speaking English immediately. (I actually got many compliments about my English!) Sweden should be very grateful to the fact that it doesn't translate TV-series and movies like many other countries do.

After 4 developing and amusing days (I especially enjoyed the day in Boston and the Harvard Tour) it was time for the final night. Every country would participate in a show called "Traditions of our Cultures", and lucky as I was, I got to be the Master of Ceremony! What an honor it was, and such a great beginning of my coming year filled with participation and engagement. At Westminster, I will take every opportunity possible to get involved in school activities.

After that it was time to leave and have even more great experiences. I was met up by my host family. The Wetzels is a wonderful family consisting of three daughters and their parents. Barb, the mother, is extremely caring and funny. I already feel like I can talk to her about everything. The father, Mark, is working many hours, and I admire him in his way to think pragmatically. His opinions are always well formulated and he has a great sense of humor. Rosie, the youngest of the three daughters, will be in the same grade as me. She is a very sparkling girl and also very nice. She loves dancing and we have been doing yoga together. Liza, the middle sister, is reading psychology at college. I truly admire her way of understanding people and she is one of the nicest persons I've ever met. Abby, the oldest, just came back from one year of teaching at a school in Ghana. You would never believe how many fantastic stories she has in storage to share! Being in Ghana gave her new perspectives of life, which she is able to share with us. Yesterday I had my first American political discussion. Abby is also very interested in politics, especially health care, and Mark is of course very well-read. It was so interesting to discuss American politics from an American point of view!

The Wetzels has a fantastic house just by the beach at Cape Cod. I have never seen such an amazing view, I almost have to hold my breath very time I wake up to the rising sun over the ocean. I have been paddle surfing, gone to the cinema, cooking, talking, laughing and simply been happy. This afternoon, when I took a swim in the ocean, I was filled with such a rush of happiness that I just had to scream out loud.

The other day I finally received my room assignments. Chandler Nemetz, my soon to be room mate, seems like such a nice girl and we have already been in contact! I can't wait to start decorating our dorm and start my life at Westminster. Actually, I am excited about studying and meeting the teachers and the students. I am planning on entering the Model United Nations; doing so will give me the opportunity to travel around America and meet other politically interested youths. I also hope that I will be able to write for the school's newspaper.

Cultural differences? Definitely. When I told the family that I had never been screaming at my mum they couldn't believe me. Communicating is more passionate here, and I enjoy it. (However I have not experienced the screaming part yet) Patriotism is flourishing; I see American flags wherever I turn my head. Religion is more important (belief is important to Barb and we pray before every dinner). The list could continue.


What I do want to say with this post though, is how happy I am. Now I will have another one of those amazing peanut butter banana sandwiches, and continue embracing the wonders of just being alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment