Monday, June 11, 2012

Being politically active


This winter, I decided to become politically active. I have always been very interested in politics and today’s society, and felt that I wanted to take it one step further. I began to research different youth organizations websites, and as I did, I was shocked: The majority of them seemed disorganized, unprofessional and unapprised. Either there were major spelling mistakes, or extreme and unjustified opinions.

Despite this, I finally found a political youth organization that matched up with my expectations: the biggest and most spread political youth organization in Stockholm, MUF (a part of the ruling party in Sweden today), seemed to offer interesting lectures and events. Unaware of my true partisan belonging, I applied and entered my first meeting a Wednesday in January.

I had an unexpected, inspiring and great experience:  After some mingling and conversation with well-read youths from all around Stockholm, a lecturer was invited and held a one hour lecture about equality politics and affirmative action. I went back the next week, and this time I learnt more about environmental politics from an expert. Since then, I have been entering MUF’s meetings once a week. I have met wonderful and inspiring people, and I have learnt a lot about different global and local issues, as well as how to write letters to a newspaper and debate.

The meetings were not about agitating for one point of view or one political message; they were about making young people aware of the society around them, understand different opinions and know how they can affect and make a difference. Therefore, it doesn’t matter if you don’t know your true partisan belonging or affair of the heart – you can still enter a political youth organization and have a great time.

In the future, I want to be able to play an important role in the society and participate in the shaping of it. Can you affect politicians by being involved in a youth organization? In order to be listened to and respected, you first of all need knowledge. And entering a political youth organization is a very good way to receive that knowledge.

So, young people from around the world – get involved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment